In the present situation, it's not always safe or convenient to learn a new skill. Thanks to today's technology, I now offer classes by way of Zoom to the comfort of your home, one-on-one or to a classroom of students. Please contact me to arrange a time.
The methods and concepts presented in this class are the foundations for all illusionary drawing and painting, and they are the conceptual fountain head for all representational art work. This is an introductory art class, as the course name implies, but I believe the material presented is significant and conceptually far reaching as the student would encounter this material again and again in any realism drawing or painting class, i.e. figure, landscape or still life Like all things in art just one exposure is not enough so review and repetition is the nature of the beast; the reason is the student is building a new language, their visual language and it doesn’t happen in just one six week class. My “Basic Drawing” class is designed to get the student up and running on a comprehensive and structured path to building their visual language as well the concepts and methods to support their artistic journey.
SOME OF THE TOPICS COVERED:
- Learning to understand your visual field and all that implies
- Translating your visual field to your picture plane
- Understanding your picture plane and it’s structure
- Rendering in light and shadow(using two light sources)
- Shape discovery and shape placement
- Mass and shape concepts
- Arial and linear perspective
- Understanding line and its’ expressive possibilities
THE STRUCTURE AND PRACTICES OF REPRESENTATIONAL DRAWING [INTERMEDIATE LEVEL]
This class is the next step up from my fundamental drawing class and contains a review of the core concepts of the fundamentals class as well as new concepts and exercises. A main paradigm of representational drawing is repetition of concepts and drawing, drawing, drawing. The concepts and methods of drawing must be internalized and really become a part of the students’ internal mental life thus awakening and accessing their visual intelligence developed through FOCUSED repetition.
NEW CLASSES IN SEPTEMBER 2021
REGISTRATION INFORMATION: Because of the Zoom format class size is very limited and the end of registration is three days before the first class session.
CLASS OUTLINE FOR WORKSHOP SESSIONS 1st thru 4th week
- Reviewing materials and their basic use.
- Historical contexts and references always present.
- Introduction to artist observation, visual intelligence, and their contrast to pedestrian observation.
- Introduction to line as a concept and its use in arranging space and mapping form.
- Introduction to the optics of volume metric form and light.
- Introduction to value, value structure and their relationship to light and form.
- Review of last week.
- Drawing an object: first shape discovery and form mapping using line then rendering the line drawing with continuous tone to create the illusion of space and 3D form.
- Introduction to point of reference [station point] and how those observations of form, space, and light are translated to the drawing surface[picture plane]
- Introduction to design: weight, direction, shape, space and how the methods of composition facilitate design.
- Using historical references to examine the structural elements design and composition.
- Drawing a still life of multiple objects on different levels
Introduction to linear and aerial perspective and its practical applications to representational drawing
COMING IN JULY 2021
INTRODUCTION TO OIL PAINTING
CLASSES WIL BE ON WEDNESDAYS AT 2pm to 4:30pm pacific time.
STARTING JULY 14th thur AUGUST 4th
REGISTRATION INFORMATION: Because of the Zoom format class size is very limited and the end of registration is three days before the first class session i.e. August 1st.
This zoom workshop is for those who have often wanted to investigate the experience of oil painting and have been looking for a instructional format introductory in nature but grounded and comprehensive I believe that these classes meet that expectation. In my years of teaching I have always used care and particular focus on my beginning classes; I believe that given intelligence and grounded instruction beginning students can work past the uncertainties and intimidation of the white empty canvas, paint and brushes and begin to enjoy this complex world 0f painting , creativity, the exploration of our visual intelligence.
A thorough introduction to the materials of oil painting and a over view of thier use; exercises for learning to draw with a brush, painting value charts and relating those charts to painting a full value form [continueous tone painting.]
Note: in these classes we will be using a limited palette comprising of ivory black, titanuim white, burnt sienna and the last class the addition of ultramarine blue.
WEEK TWO: Again using a limited palette we will paint a still life.
WEEK THREE: With the liited palette paint a still life with only four values.
WEEK FOUR: With the addition of ultramarine blue paint a still life with the focas on warm and cool relationship and ending with a review.
MATERIAL LIST FOR INTRODUCTION TO OIL PAINTING
- Four 11x14 canvases boards
- a paint box with palette
- some form of a table easel [there are paint boxes with easel attached]
- A set of natural bristle brushs: Filbert in porfile, two #6, two #4, two #2, a palette profile, knive, should be of "S" type profile and two are better than one, and one medium cup.
- Oil paints: Titanium white, ivory black, brunt seinna, and ultramarine blue
- the above items are pictured below.
- one quart of oderless turpintine i.e. Weber Turpenoid and a roll of paper towels [not pictured below.
INTRODUCTION TO PORTRAIT DRAWING
- Introductory discussion and demostration, four ten minute gesture studies from live model with review and discussion, then two twenty minute gesture studies followed by review and then one study for the remainning time with live model.
- Again working from a live model four ten minute gestures studies followed by review the two half hour studies with final review.
PAYMENT PROTOCALS AND FEE SCHEDULES
[Please note that you pay as you go, one class at a time, thought classes are schedules weeks at a time you are responsable for only the upcoming class you]
- I send you a invoice from Paypal [for just on class at a time] via your email.
- You pay the invoice with Paypal accout or c.c.
- I send you Paypal reciept and class invitation.
PORTRAIT DRAWING : 70.00 for two and half hours plus 15.00 for models fee
BEGINNING DRAWING: 70.00 for two and half hours.
INTRODUCTION TO REPRESENTATIONAL DRAWING: 70.oo for two and half hours.
INTRODUCTION TO OIL PAINTING: 70.00 for two and half hours.
- 23 1/2x26 Blick Sketch Boards
- Bulldog 3" #4 cilps [ for holding the bottom of drawing pad to the drawing board]
- 18x24 80lb Canson 1557 white drawing pad
- medium of your choice
ZOOM BEGINNING DRAWIN
- 11x14, 80lb Canson 1557 pure white drawing pad
- 15"x16 Blick sketch Boards.
- Bulldog 3" #4 clips [ for holding the bottom of drawing pad to the drawing board]
- 2b and 6b woodless pencils [2 each]
- One sandpaper block/
- Prismacolor Kneaded Rubber Eraser.
- Excel Hobby Handheld Scraper, or just the single edge razor blades.
- Krylon or Blair spray fixatives.
- The total cost is about 30.00.
- Items can be found at Amazon or Blick Art Materials [remember shipping takes longer these days]